Our Privacy Mission Statement:
"At ASDA, we value the trust placed in us by customers, suppliers and colleagues who give us their personal data. Data security is one of our highest priorities and we aim to be as clear as possible about what we do with personal data and why we do it."
Our Privacy Statement for ASDA websites
Your privacy is really important to us, and we understand how important it is to you. Our aim is to be as clear and open as possible about what we do and why we do it. ASDA is committed to the online privacy of all its users.
This ASDA website is run by the ASDA group of companies ("we", "us", "our") and our carefully selected partners ("Partners"). We run this site in order to promote products and services and, where these are provided by our Partners, to be the link between our customers and our Partners.
Where we talk about an order in this policy, this can mean an order for goods or services, registration on a site, an application for a quotation or application for a product or service or the opening of an account.
Information We Collect
User name and password - If we collect a user name and password, this is so we can keep your information safe and so that we can have your information to hand each time you visit us.
Name, address and postcode - Without this we won't know where to send your order or to whom. We also use postcodes to quickly get your full address to save you typing it out, and in some cases to identify whether we deliver or offer services in your area.
Age / date of birth – we may need to collect your age or date of birth in order to be able to offer you certain products, such as insurance, financial services products or alcohol, and we may also use this to send you age or birthday related offers if you agree.
Email address - we send a confirmation of your orders via email which may include delivery details, order tracking and our customer services details, in case you need to contact us about your order.
Telephone numbers - if there are any problems with your order or we need to check anything, we need to be able to contact you quickly.
Payment card number, expiry date, issue no and name of card holder – when you purchase a product or service we need these details so we can collect payment in the same way as when we take payment in a store via chip and pin.
Where you heard about us – we may ask you this to help make our marketing more efficient.
Correspondence – if you contact us we may keep a record of that correspondence.
IP addresses - when you visit our site, we will automatically receive your IP address, a unique identifier for your computer or other access device.
You may also provide us with personal information if you contact customer services, if you enter promotions or competitions run by us or if you get in touch with us in some other way, for example by way of an email facility provided on the website.
How We Use The Information We Collect
Our main uses of your information are explained above which in general is to process your orders, as well as to help us understand your needs and provide you with a better service. Your account may be used to store information about your previous purchases, personal preferences and shopping lists. But you should also be aware of the following uses:
Marketing - we or our Partners may use the information we collect to inform you, by letter, phone, SMS, email or otherwise, about special offers and products and services that we think may be of interest to you and we may tell you about other organisations' products and services. We will tell you about this when we collect your information and if you do not wish to receive these communications, please let us know. You can change your mind at any time by going to the account facilities available on the website (where available) or by contacting our Data Protection Officer at email@example.com. You can also unsubscribe following the instructions that we will include in any communication, such as email or text, we send to you.
Customer care and correspondence - as part of our customer care procedures, we may follow-up, either by letter, phone, SMS email or otherwise with customers who have purchased goods or services from our website or who have posted comments about ASDA on the internet, for example to resolve a complaint or to ask for a testimonial.
Market research - from time to time, we may also use your information to contact you for market research purposes. We may contact you by letter, phone, SMS, email or otherwise.
Personalise shopping - we may personalise your experience by using your past purchases and browsing habits to present special offers and new products and services that we think may be of interest to you. As technology develops, this will really help us to improve our service to you.
Website improvement - to help us design our website and improve your experience, we may collect information about the way you use and access our website. Our web system collects information about each visitor, including IP address, the length of time spent on the website and the order in which pages are visited. We may employ third party experts to help us look at this information. However, we make sure that anyone we employ treats all information with the same sensitivity and security that we treat it. This is explained in more detail in the cookies section below.
Fraud Prevention - in order to protect our customers and us from fraud and theft, we may look at the information that we get from making identity checks and other information in our customer records, including how you conduct your account, and may pass this to our Partners, other retailers or third parties and to financial and other organisations (including law enforcement agencies) involved in fraud prevention and detection, to use in the same way. When you apply for products or services through our website you may also need to go through a more detailed credit check on terms which we will tell you about first.
Our sites use a number of different cookies. Below we explain the cookies we use and why we use them.
What is a cookie?
A cookie is a small text file that may be placed on your device when you visit our sites. When you next visit our sites the cookie allows us to distinguish you from other users.
There are two broad categories of cookies:
- Persistent cookies Persistent cookies remain on your device until deleted manually or automatically.
- Session cookies Session cookies remain on your device until you close your browser when they are automatically deleted.
Cookies we use and why we use them
- Essential cookies Essential cookies are technical cookies that are required for the operation of our sites. Without essential cookies our sites can’t operate properly. Essential cookies include, for example, cookies that enable you to log into secure areas.
- Performance cookies Performance cookies allow us to recognise and count the number of visitors to our sites and to see how visitors move around them. This helps us to improve the way our sites work by enabling us to tailor our sites to the way visitors use them. The information we collect from performance cookies is aggregated which means that we cannot identify you from it.
- Experience cookies Experience cookies allow our sites to remember the choices you make. Our sites use experience cookies to provide you with enhanced and personalised features. For example, we use information collected through what are known as “web-analytic” cookies to compare the choices you make to those of our other customers so that we can learn from those choices. Information collected by experience cookies cannot track your browsing activity when you leave our sites to browse other sites.
- Marketing cookies Marketing cookies record your visits to our sites, the pages you have visited and the links you have followed. We use this information to make our sites and the advertising displayed on them more relevant to your interests. For example sometimes we use marketing cookies to limit the number of times that you see an advert. Sometimes we share information about your browsing activity, (which we have collected from cookies), with our advertising partners. They may use this information to advertise products, which may interest you, on other sites.
Who We Share The Information With
We will not sell, distribute or lease your personal information to third parties (other than our Partners) unless you say we can or are required by law. We may need to disclose your information to process and fulfil your order, to provide services you request, for internal business analysis purposes, for marketing, for the purposes of fraud prevention, or if ASDA itself, or any of our business is bought or sold.
Market Research - we may provide information at an aggregated statistical level about our customers, sales, traffic patterns and related site information to third parties, but this information will not identify individuals.
International transfers - in order to carry out the steps set out above we may send your personal information outside of the European Economic Area and, if necessary, across international borders. The data protection laws in these countries may not be as comprehensive as in the European Economic Area. However, we have taken appropriate steps to make sure there is the same level of protection for the processing carried out in these countries as within the European Economic Area.
Any details you provide may be electronically sent to the US to our parent company Wal-Mart Stores Inc., which helps us in running our websites. However, any such information will be dealt with in accordance with the UK’s Data Protection Act.
Storage of Data
We will not store your personal information for any longer than we need to, however we may be obliged by law to store your communications and personal information including activity logs and we may need to show details of these to government or authorised officials upon request. Like many websites, we use log files to monitor the effectiveness of our online marketing programmes.
You have a right to access the personal information that is held about you. To obtain a copy of the personal information ASDA holds about you, please write to us at the following address enclosing your postal details and a cheque for £10, which we are entitled by law to charge, payable to ASDA Stores Limited:
Data Protection Officer,
ASDA Stores Limited,
Great Wilson Street,
Leeds, LS11 5AD
Security - at ASDA, information security is very important and we have taken many steps to make sure your shopping experience with us is secure. Information about you will be kept safe and secure. In order to prevent unauthorised access or disclosure of your information, we have put in place suitable physical, electronic and managerial procedures to protect and secure information that is collected online. Keeping your information secure - to help us keep your information confidential you should:
- Keep your password secret.
- Never distribute the website addresses for pages that you have looked at while logged in as a registered customer.
- You should choose a password that is not obvious or known to anyone else. You should never give a third party your password, as you will be responsible for all activity and charges incurred through use of your password whether authorised by you or not.
- If you forget your password, you can request a new password, which will be emailed to the address we hold for you. You can change your password anytime through the account facilities on the website. Should we think that there is likely to be, or has been any breach of security, we may change your password and notify you of the change by email.
Payment Card Security - we use Verisign, 3DS and the latest SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) technology to make sure that the details you provide when placing an order are kept private and secure, making shopping on our website safe. Our secure server encrypts your credit or debit card number details along with your personal information and changes them into bits of code that are then securely sent over the internet. Your browser will show when you are in a secure environment by displaying either a locked padlock or an image of a key in the grey bar at the bottom of the page; it may also warn you when you are entering a secured environment as you go to place your order. Once your payment information is received by us, your payment card is processed through the same systems that handle our store sales - so they're tried and tested over many years of secure operation. Security in our offices - access to your information is restricted in our stores and offices. Only employees who need the information to perform a specific job are granted access to personally identifiable information. The servers that store this information are kept in a secure environment.
Notification of Changes to This Policy
We want to make sure we're giving you the information about privacy and security that you want - let us know what you think. If you have any feedback, questions or concerns, please contact us.